Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Breaking New Ground: A Madness of Angels

[This is a Breaking New Ground post, and you should probably read the review first.]

A Madness of Angels, despite its flaws, was a really interesting book that had absolutely none of the flaws I was worried about Urban Fantasy having in spades. There was no (seriously worn) leather in it, there was no romance, and, while there was ass kicking, it certainly didn’t revolve around the werewolf/vampire/whatever dynamic that I was dreading that I would find. In fact, I found Kate Griffin’s London to be a wondrous and enchanting place, and I’m looking forward to getting back there as soon as I can in the already released sequel, The Midnight Mayor.

Oddly enough, though, I’m still as worried about Urban Fantasy as a whole as I was before I read the book. Yeah, it was good, but it wasn’t so much typical Urban Fantasy done well as atypical Urban Fantasy, at least if one defines Urban Fantasy as I (sort of) did for this challenge. Obviously this is far from the only atypical Urban Fantasy book out there, probably far from the most atypical one as well, but I’m still not reassured that I’ll be okay with most Urban Fantasy. Ah well, I guess I’ll have to overcome my fears and start the second book of the challenge.

If you’re on the fence about Urban Fantasy in general, I’d recommend giving A Madness of Angels a try anyway. Odds are, it will surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment